Provide Proof of Name Change if Applicable
6-12+ Months Before Retirement

If your current name doesn’t match your birth certificate, you must provide proof of name change before you can retire. This also includes your spouse or state-registered domestic partner.

We understand that in California, you have the common law right to change your name by the “usage method.” This means that you simply pick a new name and start using it consistently in all parts of your life (but this method cannot be used by people who are in state prison, on probation, on parole, or been a convicted sex offender, or to change a minor’s name).

However, due to the fight against identity theft, fraud and terrorism, changing ones name by the “use method” is highly scrutinized. Therefore, our member or his or her spouse or state-registered domestic partner has to comply with our requirements to show official name change.

Provide as many of the following documents as you can provide:

  • Proof of amended birth certificate.
  • Driver’s license and/ or passport with current name.
  • Proof of time of name change (such as school records with original and new names; professional license with original name; driver’s license with original name; passport with original name; social security card with original name; baptismal records, etc.)

How to Provide Documents

Mail copies of the documents to ACERA:

Alameda County Employees’ Retirement Association
475 14th Street, Suite 1000
Oakland, California  94612-1916

QIC Code


If you work for Alameda County or one of our employers that uses the QIC code system, feel free to send us documents via QIC.

Don’t Email Documents

Please refrain from emailing documents to ACERA as your personal documents contain personally identifying information and email is not the most secure way to transmit this information.