Marriage or Registration of Domestic Partnership Before Retirement


If you get married or register a domestic partner with the California Secretary of State after your ACERA membership entry date, you will need to update your plan beneficiary information. To do so, complete and return an ACERA Active or Deferred Member Beneficiary Designation Form

ACERA Requires Copies of Your Documents

​All members who get married or register a domestic partnership with the state must provide ACERA with a copy of your marriage certificate or Certificate of Registration of Domestic Partnership and your spouse/partner’s birth verification. This information is required at the time you retire. If your spouse/partner is your beneficiary, it will be needed in the event of your death for benefit payment to your spouse/partner, so it is a good idea to submit copies to ACERA now so your spouse/partner doesn’t have to search for them after your death.