ACERA is monitoring the COVID-19 coronavirus situation. Our offices currently remain open, though in order to practice the social distancing that health officials are recommending, we ask you to limit visits to ACERA to only those that are absolutely necessary. We are happy to assist you via phone or email—see below.
We ask that if you are ill and/or have a fever, cough, or shortness of breath, that you reschedule your visit to ACERA. We recommend you stay home, self-quarantine, and contact your healthcare provider for advice and for testing for COVID-19 infection.
We are currently still conducting Ready-To-Retire One-On-One counseling sessions in our offices, although we are exploring the capability of holding these via phone call or video call. If you currently have a counseling session scheduled, we will contact you with further information.
We have cancelled the March 12 Medicare Transition Seminar, but will provide a video of the seminar on the web at a later date; click here for more information. We are still planning to hold the March 17 Pre-Retirement Seminar, but we will be providing a webinar option so members don’t have to attend in person; if you are currently enrolled in that seminar, we will send you more information via email. All seminars scheduled after that will likely be held only via webinar until further notice.
ACERA is making preparations to ensure we’re able to maintain our critical business operations in the event of quarantines or other adverse effects of the COVID-19 situation. We will ensure that retirees and other payees receive their monthly allowance payments, and that those preparing to retire receive the assistance and member service they need to make their transition into retirement.
How To Get More Information or Contact ACERA
1. Check this page | Continue to check this page for future updates.
2. Subscribe to receive email news updates to your inbox | Whenever we post information to our news page, we also send out the same information in an email to our email news subscribers. Click here to subscribe to receive email news and choose any of the lists.
3. Email ACERA directly | If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for on the news page, and you have an urgent matter, ACERA staff will continue to be available by email from our contact page.
4. Call ACERA | If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for on the news page, and you have an urgent matter, ACERA will continue to answer questions over the phone at 1-800-838-1932 or 510-628-3000.
A Message to ACERA Retirees From Medicare:
According to the CDC, older adults and people who have severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung, or kidney disease are at a higher risk of serious illness if they contract the COVID-19 virus. This means that most people with Medicare are at a higher risk.
Your health, safety, and welfare is our highest priority. In addition to practicing good everyday prevention through things such as hand washing and avoiding touching your face, the CDC says there is more you can do to take precautions against COVID-19 and reduce your risk of exposure:
- Avoid crowds, especially in poorly ventilated spaces with limited air circulation.
- Defer all cruise ship travel worldwide, particularly if you also have underlying health issues.
- Avoid situations that put you at increased risk, including non-essential travel such as long plane trips.
Remember: Medicare covers the lab tests for COVID-19—you pay no out-of-pocket costs. And Medicare also covers all medically necessary hospitalizations.