Notice of Election 2019 For ACERA Board of Retirement
An election will be held from NOVEMBER 14, 2019 through DECEMBER 18, 2019 to elect the
- THIRD MEMBER representing the General members,
- SEVENTH MEMBER and ALTERNATE SEVENTH MEMBER representing the Safety members,
- EIGHTH MEMBER and ALTERNATE EIGHTH MEMBER representing the Retired members
on the ACERA Board of Retirement for the calendar years 2020 through 2022.
Any general, safety or retired member desiring to have his/her name included on the ballot as a candidate may obtain the Election Information Packet containing the nomination papers from the Alameda County Employees’ Retirement Association (ACERA) office at 475 – 14th Street, Suite 1000, Oakland CA, 94612 starting from 9:00 a.m. on August 12, 2019 until 5:00 p.m. on September 9, 2019. Interested members may also call the telephone number noted below to request a copy through the mail or through the County’s QIC Code system. All required nomination papers must be filed and received by ACERA at the office address noted below no later than 5:00 p.m. on September 9, 2019 in order for a qualified member to be certified as a candidate. A US Postal postmark is NOT acceptable as proof of delivery or receipt by ACERA.
The Nomination Petition must bear the full name of the potential candidate (“candidate”) with his/her personal mailing address, and must be signed by at least twenty-five (25) eligible members within the candidate’s membership classification. Example: A general member may sign the petition only for a general member candidate. Upon receipt, ACERA shall verify the eligibility of the candidate and verify that the persons signing the petition are all ACERA members at the time the petition was signed and are of the same membership classification as the candidate. A candidate may be disqualified from participating in the election on the following grounds:
- Candidate is NOT an ACERA member.
- Candidate does not obtain the signatures of at least 25 eligible members. A signature will be considered invalid and will not count toward the 25 signatures if:
- Member signing the petition is NOT a member of ACERA at the time of signing the petition.
- Member signing the petition is NOT of the same membership classification as the Nominated Candidate at the time of signing the petition.
- Name and signature of member/petitioner cannot be verified as an ACERA member.
To avoid technicalities that may lead to disqualification, candidates are encouraged to submit more than 25 signatures and to submit them early. Nomination Petitions may be corrected and may be re-filed before the 5:00 p.m. deadline on September 9, 2019.
If there is more than one certified candidate for a position, an election will be held. Official ballots will be mailed on or about November 14, 2019 to each Active and Deferred General, Safety and Retired member to the last address of record at ACERA. Replacement for lost or damaged ballots may be obtained by contacting the Registrar of Voters (ROV) at (510) 272-6973.
In accordance with Gov. Code § 31523, if only one candidate is certified for any designated seat, the Board of Supervisors shall order that no election be held and shall direct the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors to cast a unanimous ballot in favor of such nominated member.
Ballots must be received by the REGISTRAR OF VOTERS at their office at Room G-1, 1225 Fallon Street, Oakland, CA 94612 no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 18, 2019.