ACERA reimburses members for the lowest monthly rate that Medicare charges retirees for being enrolled in Medicare Part B, which is $148.50 for 2021. Medicare deducts payment for Medicare Part B from your Social Security Check. The Medicare Part B Reimbursement Plan (MBRP) is for qualified retired members only, and is provided as an additional allowance in the member’s retirement allowance payment.
The Medicare Part B Reimbursement Plan is a non-vested benefit that is reviewed by the Board of Retirement annually.
This benefit is NOT available for dependents, survivors, former spouses, and beneficiaries.
To Qualify for the MBRP, a Retiree Must:
- Have at least 10 years of ACERA service credit (reciprocal service does not count) OR a Board-approved Service-Connected Disability Retirement;
- Provide proof of enrollment in Medicare Part B and remain enrolled; and
- Enroll in the MBRP by completing the attached to this page along with a copy of the Medicare card.
- MBRP benefits begin the month following ACERA’s receipt of your Form.
- ACERA does not pay the benefit retroactively.
- You must remain enrolled in Part B in order to continue receiving your MBRP from ACERA. You do not to enroll in an ACERA-sponsored medical plan to receive the MBRP, but you do need to be enrolled in Medicare Part B.