Medicare Part B Reimbursement Plan (MBRP)
ACERA reimburses members for the lowest monthly rate that Medicare charges retirees for being enrolled in Medicare Part B, which is $164.90 for 2023 (Medicare Part B Lowest Standard Premium). Medicare deducts payment for Medicare Part B from your Social Security Check. The Medicare Part B Reimbursement Plan (MBRP) is for qualified retired members only, and is provided as an additional allowance in the member’s retirement allowance payment.
The Medicare Part B Reimbursement Plan is a non-vested benefit that is reviewed by the Board of Retirement annually.
This benefit is NOT available for dependents, survivors, former spouses, and beneficiaries.
To Qualify for the MBRP, a Retiree Must:
- Have at least 10 years of ACERA service credit (reciprocal service does not count) OR a Board-approved Service-Connected Disability Retirement;
- Provide proof of enrollment in Medicare Part B and remain enrolled; and
- Enroll in the MBRP by completing the MBRP Application Form below along with a copy of your Medicare card.
- MBRP benefits begin the month following ACERA’s receipt of your Form.
- ACERA does not pay the benefit retroactively.
- You must remain enrolled in Part B in order to continue receiving your MBRP from ACERA. You do not to enroll in an ACERA-sponsored medical plan to receive the MBRP, but you do need to be enrolled in Medicare Part B.
Your Medicare Part B Cost May Be Higher if You Have a Higher Income
If you have a higher income, you’ll pay an additional premium amount for Medicare Part B and Medicare prescription drug coverage. Medicare calls the additional amount the Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount or IRMAA. ACERA does not provided a higher MBRP reimbursement for the IRMAA, which is the amount above the Lowest Standard Premium. Additionally, you can not use Monthly Medical Allowance to get reimbursed for the IRMAA.
Before you start your application, please have a scan or photo of your Medicare card available showing your Medicare Part B effective date to upload with the form.
Use the DocuSign e-form to avoid paper, ink, scanning, and hassle.