Types of Membership
ACERA has two membership types, Safety and General, which are based on job classifications:
- Safety Members work in active law enforcement or positions that have been designated as Safety by the Board of Retirement (e.g., Sheriff’s Deputies, Juvenile Hall Group Counselors, Probation Officers, etc.).
- General Members are all other members.
Additionally, members will fall into one of the three following categories based on their work or retirement status:
- Active Members are actively working for one of ACERA’s participating employers. They are actively earning service credit toward retirement and actively making employee retirement contributions into the retirement fund.
- Deferred Members are no longer working for one of ACERA’s participating employers, but are not yet retired. They are “deferring” their retirement to a later date. They do not earn service credit and do not pay into the retirement fund.
- Retired Members have qualified to retire from ACERA, and are enjoying retirement.
Finally, every ACERA member belongs to a “tier” based on what employer they work(ed) for and when they entered ACERA.